Thursday, January 14, 2010
This is a simple recipe to make delicious perfect pulao. Normally, i do vegetable pulao in rice cooker. Whenever , i need to make supper in minutes,i use this pressure cooker. The are so many benefits in using pressure cooker n the big thing is you wont loose any nutrients of the ingredient that you are cooking.
Pulao is different from biryani. As biryani is made by pre cooking the rice up to certain consistency n then cooked with vegetables or meat. Where as, Pulao is made by cooking rice n vegetables together n it requires less spices.
Rice: 2 cups
Onion: 1, small, chopped
Potato: 1, cubed
Carrot: 1, sliced
Green Peas: 1 cup
Cauliflower: 6-7 florets
Green Chili: 3, sliced into half's
Ginger Garlic paste: 2tsp
Cashews: 2 tbsp
Coriander Powder: 2tsp
Cumin Powder: 1tsp
Garam Masala: 1tsp
Chili Powder: 1tsp
Salt: to taste
Cumin seeds: 1tsp
Fennel seeds: 1tsp
Bay Leaves: 2
Star Anise: 2
Cinnamon: 1 inch stick
1) Soak rice in water for about half an hour. Drain n keep aside.
2) Heat oil n butter in presuure cooker. Add all dry spices one by one .Add fennel seeds n cumin seeds last.
3) Add onion n fry for 3 mins. Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric n chili's. Fry for 1 min.
4) Stir in potato n cauliflower. Fry for 1 min.
5) Add carrot n peas. Fry for 1 min.
6) Add soaked rice n mix carefully without breaking the rice.
7) Add 4 cups of water. Adjust water according to your rice...
8) Add all powders n mix well. now add salt little by little. Taste it n add the salt. Be careful with salt.If water i salty, your pulao will be salty.
9) Cook for up to 2 whistles n let it cool down.
10) Open the cover n mix carefully.
Tip: You can substitute for dry powders to pulao masala.
This is going to be a part of My APS- Rice Event