Friday, March 26, 2010
Its been a while that i posted a recipe on my blog.. Been busy with some other stuff going on in my life,,
These Bean Pockets are my fav n been sitting in draft since 3 weeks. Sound's healthy, its very simple to make these Pockets. Instead of soaking overnight n then boiling n straining, i used canned beans n made this heart healthy n tasty pockets in minutes..
These simple bean pockets say NO to Soaking, Boiling &Straining,and also NO to Mixing Dough, Rolling Dough.
To make the process simpler use canned beans n a packet of tortilla's. Thats it u r ready to go..
Canned Beans: 2-1big+1 small ( I used 1 400g Great Value Chili Kidney Beans n 1 250g Pinto beans)
Tortilla's: 10(1 packet)
Oil: To deep fry
Corn Flour/Maida: 1tbsp
Water: As needed
1) Strain the water from canned beans. Now grind the beans into a coarse paste without adding any water. Don't grind them into a paste. If you can mash them with hand, go ahead n do that. Mashing or grinding beans helps you to make pockets out of tortilla's n also easy to eat.
2) Now heat a pan n add mashed beans. Cook for 10 mins or until water evaporates from beans.
Making beans paste dry is very important.
3) Now warm tortilla's. This is important because, tortilla' s form packet are dry n you can't make pockets out of dry tortilla's. so jus warm them as per package instructions or jus heat them as you do for chapathi. Don't brown them. Jus heat for 1min or until they are soft enough to make pockets.
4) Make a paste out of Corn flour/ maida by adding little water n keep aside.
5) Now take a scoop of beans paste n put in center of tortilla.
6) Fold one end of tortilla to the center. Now apply Flour paste all around the edges of tortilla.
7) Now fold the sharp edges of tortilla towards center. Apply paste as needed.
8) Now cover the center with the other end of tortilla.
All i am trying to say is, jus fold the tortilla in envelope style.
9) Repeat the same process for remaining
10) Now heat oil for deep frying at 400degrees.
11) Fry one at a time for 2 mins on each side or until golden color.Repeat the process for remaining.
One thing i love about these pockets is , they don't absorb oil.
Serve this crispy, healthy n yummy beans with ketchup or eat as it is..
This is going to be a part of
Sunday snacks-Healthy snacks of Dilse hosted by Divya
My legume love affair guest hosted by Ruchikaooks started by Susan and also to Sri Lekha's SWEETS AND SAVORIES FOR DIWALI last but not least to my own event Vegetable Marathon-Beans