Mind is in its own place. It can make a hell of heaven or a heaven of hell

Vegetable Marathon:Event Announcement

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Here i am with my second event--Vegetable Marathon. I started APS- Rice event with lots of doubts in my mind. As, i am a newbie to food blogging world, i thought that hosting an event is bit risky. But, i was so determined to host an event n took help from one o four blogger friend. I would like to say thank you to Priya of Priya's Easy N Tasty recipes .  She encouraged me with her kind words, when i told her about my plans to host an event. 
So, with the success of my first event-APS-Rice. I would like to take a step ahead n host another event. This time i choose vegetables as my event theme. This event is going to be an interminable one, as each vegetable occupies each month. 
Source: My Pyramid.Gov
Vegetable usually means an edible plant or part of a plant other than a sweet fruit or seed.
Any vegetable or 100% vegetable juice counts as a member of the vegetable group. Vegetables may be raw or cooked; fresh, frozen, canned, or dried/dehydrated; and may be whole, cut-up, or mashed.
Vegetables are organized into 5 subgroups, based on their nutrient content. Some commonly eaten vegetables in each subgroup are:







Dark green vegetables

bok choy
broccoli
collard greens
dark green leafy lettuce
kale
mesclun
mustard greens
romaine lettuce
spinach
turnip greens
watercress

Orange vegetables

acorn squash
butternut squash
carrots
hubbard squash
pumpkin
sweetpotatoes

Dry beans and peas

black beans
black-eyed peas
garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
kidney beans
lentils
lima beans (mature)
navy beans
pinto beans
soy beans
split peas
tofu (bean curd made from soybeans)
white beans
Starchy vegetables

corn
green peas
lima beans (green)
potatoes

Other vegetables

artichokes
asparagus
bean sprouts
beets
Brussels sprouts
cabbage
cauliflower
celery
cucumbers
eggplant
green beans
green or red peppers
iceberg (head) lettuce
mushrooms
okra
onions
parsnips
tomatoes
tomato juice
vegetable juice
turnips
wax beans
zucchini



There are three definitions relating to fruits and vegetables:





  • Fruit (scientific): the ovary of a seed-bearing plant,
  • Fruit (culinary): any edible part of a plant with a sweet flavor,
  • Vegetable: any edible part of a plant with a savory flavor.
So here comes the rules for participating in the event: 
1) Prepare any dish with vegetable as main ingredient. It can be either Vegetarian or non-vegetarian.
2) You can send as many recipes as you want.
3) I will accept the old entries, if they are updated and reposted with the logo n link back to Vegetable Marathon event. 
4) Vegetable Marathon is an interminable event.. So i would like to take help from my fellow  bloggers to host this event. If you would like to host this event starting from MAY 1st to end of this year. Please send an email to anitakonasani@gmail.com or drop a comment. I will update it regularly
5) Pls link your post to the event announcement and please feel free to use logo.. Post's without link back to this event would not be a part of the roundup.
6) Round up will be done after first week of event end date. 

So coming to this month's vegetable-- its Abergine/Eggplant/ Brinjal/Begun.
Eggplants belong to the nightshade family of vegetables, which also includes tomatoes, sweet peppers and potatoes. They grow in a manner much like tomatoes, hanging from the vines of a plant that grows several feet in height. While the different varieties do range slightly in taste and texture, one can generally describe the eggplant as having a pleasantly bitter taste and spongy texture. 
Egg Plant contains 10% of dietary fiber and it hosts minerals such as potassium, manganese, copper,Magnesium, folate n vitamins B1,B6,B3. In addition to featuring a host of vitamins and minerals, eggplant also contains important phytonutrients, many which have antioxidant activity. Phytonutrients contained in eggplant include phenolic compounds, such caffeic and chlorogenic acid, and flavonoids, such as nasunin. Source: wiki. pic from greenbytheday
This month's Vegetable Marathon- Abergine/Egg plant will start from February 11th. So entries will be accepted until March 11th

Send Your entries to anitakonasani@gmail.com with subject as Veg-Mar-eggplant with following details:
Your Name:
Blog's Name:
Blog's URL:
Recipe Name:

Category:Link to the Recipe or URL:
Snapshot of the Recipe:
I would appreciate a lot, if you name the picture of the dish by the dish name, and the category it belongs,that you are sending me in email. That makes things lot easier n no shuffling of recipes or images with other names. Thanks a lot.
 Recipes from those who do not blog are accepted. Pls do mail them to my email id-- anitakonasani@gmail.com with your recipe details n a picture of the dish.


*** Those who are hosting vegetable marathon, please announce the event 2-3 days before 10 th of every month and they need to publish logo on their blog.

24 comments:

Padmajha February 10, 2010 at 6:46 PM  

Thats a great idea!!!Will send in entries.As for hosting,ma and my blog are always ready :)

Nivedita Thadani February 10, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

Hi
Great! You can count me in!

Rachana February 11, 2010 at 1:52 AM  

This a very very healthy event!!!! Will send you my entry ASAP! Good Luck with the event!

Rujuta February 11, 2010 at 6:29 AM  

Hi......Anita
Thats a great idea.....
Will definately try to send as many entries as possible.......
Happy Hosting!!!
Best Wishes

Sayantani February 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

lovely theme. would definitely send something as brinjal is my most fav.

Kalai February 11, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

Hi Anitha,
Would love to host this event from MAY! Will send a mail about the same.

Jyoti V February 11, 2010 at 10:38 AM  

Nice theme dear..conut me in..

Pls do checkout my 1st event...

http://panchpakwan.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-first-event-annoucement-pasta-party.html

Ramya Vijaykumar February 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

Another event wow... Wonderful theme, shall send in some entries!!!

http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com

Unknown February 11, 2010 at 12:01 PM  

Lovely theme, will send my entries soon..thanks for ur kind words dear..happy to see ur enthu for coming with a wonderful event..

Hayley February 11, 2010 at 1:12 PM  

Nice and healthy event!!! you've chose my favorite vegetable Aubergine...sure i'll send my entry soon...

Siddhi Shirsat February 11, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

hey lovely event anita, vl try to send my entries to it

AvanthiRao February 12, 2010 at 1:19 AM  

will send my entries soon .......

FH February 12, 2010 at 7:29 AM  

I might have one for you this month. Will link your post but can't post the logo because of limit of photo space in my blog.If that's okay, I will send it to you! :))

Silpa February 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM  

Thank you guys

@ asha

That's okay Asha no problem. adding image is jus for the sake of spreading the word.. U can send entries..
Thank you..

Annam February 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

Vegetable marathon... looks healthy. Will send my post soon & I would like to host one. Let me know if I can fit in.

FH February 18, 2010 at 6:22 AM  

Thanks Silpa, I will post next week. I have listed your event at my sidebar as well! :)

Silpa February 18, 2010 at 6:52 AM  

Thank you guys..

Thank you so much asha...

Padhu Sankar February 19, 2010 at 3:40 AM  

I stumbled upon your blog through someone else blog .Wow you have a lovely space.That's a fantastic event .Eager to participate
http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/

Gomathy S February 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

Would love to send an entry for this :)

Unknown March 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM  

Hi,
I just came across ur blog today... I am new to blogging and just recently started my blog. Nice event, I have couple of recipes which I have already posted on my blog. I will repost them with the link and picture. Thanx
Smitha
smithasspicyflavors.blogspot.com

Kiran March 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM  

Hi Anita,
I am Kiran and I must started blogging recently.my blog is http://kiranjay.blogspot.com
I came across your event when I was visiting Divya Dilse's blog.I would like to send in a recipe for the Eggplant Event.Visit my blog at your convenience and let me know your comments.

Pavani July 16, 2010 at 1:55 PM  

Hi Anita,
Nice to meet you..just now i posted my recipe for ur event hosted by ruchikacooks..

Reva December 31, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

Hey,
I am Reva and new to blogging...wonderful blog, event and recipes... I saw that the month of march was free and was wondering if I could host this event for that month or any other month.... let me know. my id: kaarasaaram@yahoo.co.uk.
Thanks a bundle.
Reva.
www.kaarasaaram.com

Revathi December 31, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

Hello,
I am Reva and new to blogging. Wonderful blog and event..I was wondering if I could host the month of march or any of the months following april...I will be very glad.
Thanks,
Reva.
www.kaarasaaram.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Rate It..

Top Blogs
Proud member of FoodBlogs
Indian Cooking Blogs Food & Drink Indian cooking food blog Add your blogs for free, get more traffic and good position to the top search engines. Page Rank Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Software MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected FoodBlogBlog

  © Blogger template Leaving by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP