Monday, April 12, 2010
This is my 100th post n i am so happy to share this with you.. Thank you so much guys for encouraging me with your kind words. I made Rasmalai for my 100th post for two reasons. Firstly, Rasmalai is my mom's favorite desert and of course mine too.The reason, i am here is my mom. Without her guidance n support, this couldn't be possible for me. Even though, she is 1000's of miles away from me, i always have had her blessings. Love you Mom..
Before marriage, i never entered kitchen for cooking purposes(Of course, many of us are raised like tht only). She never let me to touch anything, as she fears tht i might burn my hands. I came to states in Oct 2007 r8 after getting married. On that day, Vishnu cooked shrimp for dinner(As, i stepped into states at 7'0 clock). As we are ready to eat, i jus noticed that the curry for dinner is shrimp( at that time Vishnu is expert in NV). Believe me, i never ate shrimp in India, even though my mom is famous for her shrimp fry..When i was a kid, we used to live in Visakhapatnam n Kaikaluru cities that are famous for fish n shrimp. When ever my mom cooks NV except chicken, simply, i jus ran away from home n eat at my frds palce. I was that allergic to shrimp n fish. Anyways, coming to states, being newly married n being basically shy person, i couldn't tell Vishnu that i wont eat shrimp. i am jus looking at dinner plate n Vishnu's face. But, he is busy enjoying his curry. He looked at me, n told" why u r not eating?/ Curry is very gud. finish it.." that' s it. Rats running in my stomach(as i dint eat anything on plane) n being tired n shy, i was unable to tell Vishnu that i wont eat shrimp. So finally, i ate shrimp.I jus ate 2 spoons n feel like vomiting sensation. To my luck, there is no yogurt too in home, as vishnu wnt eat .. I jus told Vishnu tht i am nt hungry n slept with empty stomach. Next day morning my mom called n i was like crying. I told to her about last night n she was like laughing. So i was mad at her but anyhow she cooled me n guided me on how to make pulao(As its my turn to cook for lunch). Since then, i call her daily at time of cooking n she guides me. that' show i learnt cooking n never looked back again. This inspired me a lot to blog, so here i am.
Second reason, I made Rasmalai for my 100th post is this Indian desert is fav for most of the people(I think so). As, i told earlier- while my mom explains me how to cook on the other side i used to keep a laptop on my kitchen counter n watch videos or posts from bloggers. So by combining my moms demonstration n bloggers videos, i learned how to cook.
Anyways, now i am a good cook(at-least in my terms). So to celebrated my 100th post wth you guys, i made this fabulous Rasmalai for you..
Milk: 1/2 gallon( i used 2% reduced)
Lemon juice/Vinegar : 1-2 tbsp
For Sugar Syrup:
Water: 4 cups
Sugar: 1 cup( or to taste)
Cardamom Powder: 1 tsp
Evaporated Milk: 2 12 f oz cans
Condensed milk: 1 14 oz can
Sugar: 1/ 2cup(optional, adjust to your taste)
Almonds/Pistachio's: 3 tbsp( chopped or sliced)
Cardamom powder: 1 tsp
1) In a deep vessel, bring milk to a boil on medium heat by stirring constantly, about 15 mins. 2) Now add lemon juice to boiling milk. This helps milk to break into cheese n whey. When milk starts breaking down switch of the stove n stir constantly until all the cheese n whey separates.
3) Now strain the cheese from whey water using muslin cloth. Run thru cold water. This helps cheese to loose any lemon flavor.
4) Hang it or keep flat strainer on a vessel n place this paneer with muslin cloth. Now put weight on paneer. Keep it aside for 11/2 hr to 2hrs.
5) By now, water will be strained from paneer. Dnt make it too dry. Little bit moisture in paneer helps you to make balls. To check, take small portion n try making a ball.
6) Now make paneer into soft dough by kneading it. Keep it aside for 5 mins.
7) Now make small rounds of it n slightly press them in between your hands to make discs n keep them aside.
1) In a deep vessel, mix water n sugar. Bring to a boil.Now add paneer discs one by one carefully. Adding little by little helps discs to expand easily. Adjust sugar to your aste
2) Cover n boil for 6-7 mins on medium heat. By now disc should be double in size or else boil for couple more mins.
3) Strain n place them in a dish, you want to store Rasmalai. Spoon some syrup on to this discs. Repeat the same procedure for remaining in discs by using same sugar syrup.
1) While making syrup, in a nonstick deep vessel, add evaporated, condensed milk n milk. add sugar of necessary.
2) Bring to a boil on low heat. stir occasionally.
3) By the time you finished boiling discs in sugar syrup, our Malai will be ready.
4) Now add nuts n cardamom powder.
5) Gently press discs that are soaked in sugar syrup in between your hands. Drop in Malai.
6) Let them sit for 10mins n switch off.
7) Pour this gently into the dish you want to store Rasmalai.
Refrigerate for 3-4 hrs serve chilled.
This is going to be a part of Priya's Cooking with seeds-Cardamom seeds and
Sri Lekha's SWEETS AND SAVORIES FOR DIWALI and also to Jyothi's Mothers Day Event