Mind is in its own place. It can make a hell of heaven or a heaven of hell

RasMalai ~100th post

Monday, April 12, 2010

Hello Guys,
This is my 100th post n i am so happy to share this with you.. Thank you so much guys for encouraging me with your kind words. I made Rasmalai for my 100th post for two reasons. Firstly, Rasmalai is my mom's favorite desert and of course mine too.The reason, i am here  is my mom. Without her guidance n support, this couldn't be possible for me. Even though, she is 1000's of miles away from me, i always have had her blessings. Love you Mom..
Before marriage, i never entered kitchen for cooking purposes(Of course, many of us are raised like tht only). She never let me to touch anything, as she fears tht i might burn my hands. I came to states  in Oct 2007 r8 after getting married. On that day, Vishnu cooked shrimp for dinner(As, i stepped into states at 7'0 clock). As we are ready to eat, i jus noticed that the curry for dinner is shrimp( at that time Vishnu is expert in NV). Believe me, i never ate shrimp in India, even though my mom is famous for her shrimp fry..When i was a kid, we used to live in Visakhapatnam n Kaikaluru cities that are famous for fish n shrimp. When ever my mom cooks NV except chicken, simply, i jus  ran away from home n eat at my frds palce. I was that allergic to shrimp n fish. Anyways, coming to states, being newly married n being  basically shy person, i couldn't tell Vishnu that i wont eat shrimp. i am jus looking at dinner plate n Vishnu's face. But, he is busy enjoying his curry.  He looked at me, n told" why u r not eating?/ Curry is very gud. finish it.." that' s it. Rats running in my stomach(as i dint eat anything on plane) n being tired n shy, i was unable to tell Vishnu that i wont eat shrimp. So finally, i ate shrimp.I jus ate 2 spoons n feel like vomiting sensation. To my luck, there is no yogurt too in home, as vishnu wnt eat .. I jus told Vishnu tht i am nt hungry n slept with empty stomach. Next day morning  my mom called n i was like crying. I told to her about last night n she was like laughing. So i was mad at her but anyhow she cooled me n guided me  on how to make pulao(As its my turn to cook for lunch). Since then, i call her daily at time of cooking n she guides me. that' show i learnt cooking n never looked back again. This inspired me a lot to blog, so here i am.


Second reason, I made Rasmalai for my 100th post is this Indian desert is fav for most of the people(I think so). As, i told earlier- while my mom explains me how to cook on the other side  i used to keep a laptop on my kitchen counter n watch videos or posts from bloggers. So by combining my moms demonstration  n bloggers videos, i learned how to cook.


Anyways, now i am a good cook(at-least in my terms).  So to celebrated my 100th post wth you guys, i made this fabulous Rasmalai for you..

                                                           This is 4 U MOM
Ingredients:
For Paneer:
Milk: 1/2 gallon( i used 2% reduced)
Lemon juice/Vinegar : 1-2 tbsp


For Sugar Syrup:
Water: 4 cups
Sugar: 1 cup( or to taste)
Cardamom Powder: 1 tsp


For Malai:
Milk: 1cup
Evaporated Milk: 2 12 f oz cans
Condensed milk: 1 14 oz can
Sugar: 1/ 2cup(optional, adjust to your taste)
Almonds/Pistachio's: 3 tbsp( chopped or sliced)
Cardamom powder: 1 tsp


Preparation:
For Paneer:
1) In a deep vessel, bring milk to a boil on medium heat by stirring constantly, about 15 mins. 2)  Now add lemon juice to boiling milk. This helps milk to break into cheese n whey. When milk starts breaking down switch of the stove n stir constantly until all the cheese n whey separates. 
3) Now strain the cheese from whey water using muslin cloth.  Run thru cold water. This helps cheese to loose any lemon flavor.
4) Hang it or keep flat strainer on a vessel n place this paneer with muslin cloth. Now put weight on paneer. Keep it aside for 11/2 hr to 2hrs.
5) By now, water will be strained from paneer. Dnt make it too dry. Little bit moisture in paneer helps you to make balls. To check, take small portion n try making a ball.
6) Now make paneer into soft dough by kneading it. Keep it aside for 5 mins.
7) Now make small rounds of it n slightly press them in between your hands to make discs n keep them aside.


For Syrup:
1) In a deep vessel, mix water n sugar. Bring to a boil.Now add paneer discs one by one carefully. Adding little by little helps discs to expand easily. Adjust sugar to your aste
2) Cover n boil for 6-7 mins on medium heat. By now disc should be double in size or else boil for couple more mins.
3) Strain n place them in a dish, you want to store Rasmalai. Spoon some syrup on to this discs. Repeat the same procedure for remaining in discs by using same sugar syrup.


For Malai:
1) While making syrup, in a nonstick deep vessel, add evaporated, condensed milk n milk. add sugar of necessary.
2) Bring to a boil on low heat. stir occasionally. 
3) By the time you finished boiling discs in sugar syrup, our Malai will be ready.
4) Now add nuts n cardamom powder.
5) Gently press discs that are soaked in sugar syrup in between your hands. Drop in Malai.
6) Let them sit for 10mins n switch off.
7) Pour this gently into the dish you want to store Rasmalai.


Refrigerate for 3-4 hrs  serve chilled.


This is going to be a part of  Priya's Cooking with seeds-Cardamom seeds and 
Sri Lekha's SWEETS AND SAVORIES FOR DIWALI and also to Jyothi's Mothers Day Event

17 comments:

Prema April 12, 2010 at 7:23 AM  

congrats for ur 100th post.Very nice recipe...Really Awesome...

Meena April 12, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

congrats on the 100th post!

lovely rasmalai! will be backk to check other recipes!

Priya Ajay April 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM  

Rasmalai looks delicious...n congrats on ur 100th post...u have some awards waiting for you in my blog...do collect them...

Priya Ajay
http://priyasculinary.blogspot.com

PranisKitchen April 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM  

Congrats on ur 100th post..Rasamalai looks so delicious.Sure it have more taste because its a specialsweetdish made for ur 100th post..
All the best ..enjoy blogging

Silpa April 12, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

thank you so much

kamalabhoopathy April 12, 2010 at 9:39 AM  

Congrats on your 100th post keep rocking.

Priya Suresh April 12, 2010 at 10:59 AM  

Congrats on ur 100th post, wat an excellent way to celebrate this beautiful milestone..Looks delicious and fabulous..thanks for sending..

Priya

R April 12, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

congratulations on ur 100th post, loved the read about u & shrimp :)

kitchen queen April 12, 2010 at 11:06 AM  

congrats on ur 100th post.The rasmalai looks yum and delicious.

Unknown April 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

Silpa, Congrats on 100 recipes. Nice story of your first dinner in US.

Delicious ras-malai recipe. I will surely try it as I love it too.

Deepa April 12, 2010 at 11:11 PM  

hey congrats on your 100th post..thats really an achievement..perfect sweet to celebrate it..truly rich..

Cooking Foodie April 13, 2010 at 1:07 AM  

Congratulations on your 100th recipe! Looking forward to more...
Rasmalai looks delicious.. i love milk based desserts!

Swathi April 13, 2010 at 8:22 AM  

Slipa.

Congrats on 1ooth post, Rasamalai looks really good.

Silpa April 13, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

Thank you so much guys for encouraging me..

Suhaina April 13, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

Congrads dear on ur 100th post. Very happy for u. Keep blogging...

Pavithra Srihari April 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM  

congrats on your 100th post ... rasmalai is yummilicious

Malar Gandhi May 13, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

Congrats on ur 100th post, buddy. Expect more and more from you. Happy blogging. Lovely rasmalai...delish.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Rate It..

Top Blogs
Proud member of FoodBlogs
Indian Cooking Blogs Food & Drink Indian cooking food blog Add your blogs for free, get more traffic and good position to the top search engines. Page Rank Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Software MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected FoodBlogBlog

  © Blogger template Leaving by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP